Sunday, March 22, 2015

Planning for A Road Trip

First of all, some numbers: 3,647 miles
                                            23 days until I leave
                                            14 days on the road
                                            8-9 hours of driving per day
                                            3 days in Seattle
                                            2 days in Anchorage
                                            1 person
Secondly, it feels like I've spent my whole life watching other people go off and have marvelous adventures, gathering crazy, awesome stories along the way while I've been sitting at home. Well, last summer when I was in Alaska I vowed to have my own vehicle for the next summer season. So, that's what I'm gearing up to do and on the way I'll finally get to see Seattle, visit another country, and have my own marvelous adventure! Not to mention the plethora of other amazing sites, stories, and moments along the way.
What am I doing to prepare (in no particular order)?
     Pinterest
        Lots of Pinterest. No, really! There's great advice to be found on solo road trips, road trips in general, frugal travel, and backpacking/camping on that addicting site. For instance, I learned there's a tracking app that I can share with a select few people so I'm always accounted for along the way. Thanks to yesandyes.org found via Pinterest, I'm also getting into Podcasts. Oh, and this could also be categorized under "Procrastinating."
     Packing
        Putting my life into boxes again. I've moved numerous times, but have only managed to be present for two or three of those moves. This one's all on me, including my own storage unit. Boy, does that make me feel like an adult!
     Lists, Lists, and more Lists
        To-do lists, shopping lists, packing lists, destination lists, grocery lists, playlists, just basically tons of lists
     Mapping my route
        There's so much more than just A to B! It's a little overwhelming, truthfully. I have to figure out where I'll be staying each night and how far I can realistically get in a day. Will I be staying with someone? At a hotel/hostel? Will I be camping that night? What towns are within my driving range? Etc.
     Working Out
        I'll be honest, I'm pretty out of shape and sitting in a car for hours at a time isn't the easiest on a person's body. To combat that, I've started running again and doing short daily workouts. I feel better now and it's guaranteed to help later!
     Lastly, Research
        This links back to Pinterest, but also asking anyone who has traveled lots of questions, as well as checking out books from the library (or borrowing them). Finding tips, advice, and information wherever possible.

 I'll be documenting the whole thing (or as much as possible) via Northbound or Bust in short entries where wifi is a passing convenience and longer stories when I have internet access for the night. There'll be pictures, quotes, ramblings, and hopefully some insight.

Here's to a challenging, enlightening, and brilliant trek!

No comments:

Post a Comment