Thursday, May 15, 2014

Day 6: Short Thoughts on a Long Day

    So far I've experienced earthquakes (a 5.5 my first morning in AK), giant mosquitoes, and weather that simply cannot make up its mind. But there's also wide open spaces while being surrounded by mountains, lakes, fairly mild weather (albeit indecisive), great people, and a sense of peace. The activities provided by my employer and within my immediate area includes: hiking, kayaking, flightseeing, dog sled running, the train tour, glacier landing, whitewater rafting, and ATV tours. It would be incredibly overwhelming if I hadn't made a friend as fast as I did. Now Alaska feels like a home, like I've been here for ages.
    In my last post I mentioned that time had stopped. And while, yes, I tend to exaggerate, this is completely honest. The sun is up about twenty hours per day at this point, but instead of not being able to sleep my body just rests when it's bedtime and gets up when it's time to get the day started. Wake up, get ready, eat breakfast, catch the shuttle, work, clock out, catch the shuttle home, change clothes, dinner, and whatever until bedtime. The days blend together and such freedom I've never experienced. For the first time in my life, even the sun's usual rising and setting has little influence over what I can and cannot do.
    When one envisions working, especially when it isn't the job of your dreams, it's difficult for freedom to be a synonym for work. At least for me. However, all this daylight gives me the time (plus some extra energy) to cram a few more activities into my day. Certainly something I'll miss when I move back down south.
   
    Topic switch! There are people here from all over the U.S.A. and the world. I've met people from Alaska, Utah, Arizona, Florida, Washington, Oregon, Delaware, California, Idaho, Jamaica, Bulgaria, and Thailand and those are just the places I can remember! It's incredible how diverse the workforce is. Everyone I have met so far has been nice, and for the most part the people I work with are amusing (a few who are even attractive *and* funny!).

    I will leave this post at that for tonight. My bed is calling my name and I am possibly working a double shift tomorrow! So goodnight and thank you to those patient enough to read my documented thoughts =)

No comments:

Post a Comment